Personal Injury Lawyer | Safety Tips for Drivers
Personal Injury Lawyer | Being aware of pedestrians and bicyclists can make your community that much safer. Use these tips when driving!
Be Alert: Watch for pedestrians and bicyclists at all times:
- Scan the road and the sides of the road ahead for potential pedestrians or bicyclists.
- Before making a turn, look in all directions for pedestrians crossing or bicyclists coming up the road.
- Do not drive distracted or after consuming alcohol or other drugs.
- Do not use your cell phone while driving.
- Look carefully behind your vehicle for approaching pedestrians, especially small children, before backing-up.
- For maximum visibility, keep your windshield clean and headlights on.
Be Responsible: Yield to pedestrians at crossings and give bicyclists room:
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, whether marked or unmarked.
- Yield to pedestrians when making right or left turns at intersections.
- Do not block or park in crosswalks.
- Allow time for bicyclists to traverse intersections.
- Treat bicyclists like slow moving cars: do not tailgate them and wait until traffic conditions allow you to pass safely.
- Slow down when passing bicyclists and give them three feet of space when passing.
- Check over your shoulder after passing a bicyclist before moving back into the lane.
Be Patient: Drive the speed limit and avoid aggressive maneuvers:
- Never pass/overtake a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians.
- Obey speed limits and come to a complete stop at STOP signs.
- Use extra caution when driving near children playing along the street or older pedestrians who may not see or hear you.
- Always be prepared to stop for pedestrians.
- Don’t blast your horn in proximity to bicyclists.
- Children and novice riders can be unpredictable; expect the unexpected.
Since 1989, the personal injury lawyers of Clekis Law Firm have been representing injured people and their families in Charleston and throughout the Low Country. At the Clekis Law Firm our clients always come first. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious personal injury due to the negligence of another, don’t be victimized twice. You need someone on your side to help you with your personal injury case and obtain the fair and reasonable compensation that you deserve. Call Clekis at 843.779.1160!
For more information, Like us on Facebook!